In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Countdown: 7 days

Yup, seven days. That's one week people! I'm officially going to Haiti for nine whole months. It's funny to think of how much I freaked out before my last trip when I was going for only one month. This is so much longer and I'm going by myself! I am feeling very sad thinking about how much I'll miss all my friends and family. It's going to be hard to be away from everyone. I'll have less time and resources to communicate with people at home as much as I do right now. It will be the longest I've ever been away from my home. I thought hard and prayed hard for a long time about my decision. I think I am in the right place in my life to go right now. I don't have a husband and I don't have children. I don't have a job, or a lease. I don't own my own car, or a house. I am the least tied down person I know! After praying and thinking, I concluded that if I'm going to do something like this ever in my life, now is the best time. Who knows where I'll be in the future. I think this is one of those things that I would deeply regret if I didn't take advantage of this opportunity. 


It's definitely going to be a great adventure. I only have a few details of what I will be doing when I arrive in Haiti so I'm in for a lot of surprises. I know I am going to live with a woman who cares for 15 Haitian children. I will be helping her and one other girl named Katie teach the children English. Some of the children do all of their school work in English and therefore need one-on-one help. It seems like I am going to be pretty busy. I know very little else so I will definitely have more to write once I get there and find out more of what things will be like. I'm very excited but also anxious. I am not a good traveler and always freak myself out before I go anywhere let alone Haiti by myself. I think it's going to be a tough week but at least it's not forever. I'm trying to take it one day at a time. It's very weird to have so many conflicting emotions all at the same time. Happy, sad, nervous, anxious, excited, joyful, and thankful.


If you're the praying type, here are some things you can be praying for:
- That I rely on God especially when I am feeling extra sad or worried
- That I will allow God to use me for being helpful to the Haitian people and not harmful
- That I will be a good example of God's love 
- That there are no giant spiders around me
- That I will have the time and opportunity to go visit the girls in Leogane a lot


That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment