In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Visitors

Two American moms were just here for a weeklong visit. Serena (Michaelle and SonSon’s mom), and Mary (Juliette, Jennifer, Joshua and Dianna’s mom) came. They also brought their friend Shannon and her 13 year old son Collin (coolest 13 year old EVER!). I’m so glad that they could come to visit (no, not only because they brought me chocolate and other treats!) It was so good to see how much the mom’s love their kids and can’t wait to get them home. They taught me a lot about life and love. I really enjoyed talking to them. Both of them were foster moms for a long time. It was good to relate to them about raising other people’s children and learn from discussing their stories. I’m having a really hard time recently thinking about how I’m leaving these kids soon. Katie and I have been talking about it a lot. I can’t even imagine how I’m going to be able to be home after being with these kids all the time for 8 months.  In a lot of aspects, my time here has flow by. I only have a few months left. Yet, I feel like I know these kids so well. I don’t know what I’ll do when I get home and don’t get to wake up the boys talking in their cribs and Peter and Claudeson singing in the shower and Dianna coming to show me her pretty outfit for the day. Part of me wants to go home to the U.S. and be comfortable again, but the other part of me wants to stay in Haiti forever. I have always had a hard time knowing what the right next step is. I haven’t figured out how to tell what God’s will is. How do you ever know??

On a different note, I got to go to the beach TWO times this week. Shannon, Serena, Mary and Collin watched our babies for a day while Katie and I got to have a day off at the beach. We went with Frankie, his sister Taberno, and their two friends. It was so wonderful just to sit and relax and interact with other adults. Then, on Friday we took all the kids to the beach. The kids had soooo much fun! Jackson, Noah and Joshua stayed home with Sue but the rest of the kids got to go. It made my heart so happy to watch the kids on the taptap getting so excited about everything they were seeing. Jean pointed out EVERY vehicle he saw to me like it was the most exciting thing in the world. All the kids could hardly stay seated in the taptap because they didn’t want to miss anything. I wish we could take the kids out more often to go do fun things like that. They keep talking about it today and I’m sure that we’ll continue to talk about it for weeks to come!
All in all it was a great week and I wish they would come visit every month! 
The best we could do at getting a group picture at the beach

Jackson, me and Noah reading in my bed

Samantha and SonSon in their masks for Kanaval

No comments:

Post a Comment