In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

First day without Katie

It actually was a good day today. The boys slept alright. I only got about 6 hours of sleep total but that's how it goes. The kids were good in school today. Sue schooled Katie's kids. I mopped the floors and cleaned my room after school and before lunch. We had chicken and rice and bean sauce for lunch so I was really happy about that. The boys were napping so I did laundry ALL afternoon. I guess I was washing for about 3 hours. While I was washing I was thinking about how women in Haiti do it. I only washed clothes for myself and the babies. I can't imagine washing a whole families laundry while I keep track of my kids. Not to mention that they have to keep their house clean and cook all day too! My day has been busy and I didn't have to clean an entire house or cook meals for a family. Cooking takes all day if you're going to have three meals! You can't just throw some leftovers in the microwave. You actually have to cook the beans instead of open a can. And there's no such thing as pre-diced garlic. I just have a lot of respect for Haitian women today.

I haven't heard from Katie yet. I know she made it safely home and that she was at the doctors a few hours ago. I am happy that she made it safe. I'm sure it was a miserable flight for her.

I overheard Peter (my student) talking to one of the other kids today. They were talking in Creole and I wasn't listening until I heard him saying something in English. He was talking about one of his lessons today! He was telling her about some new words he learned from his story today. That was pretty cute. I'm glad to know he was paying attention :)

That's pretty much all I have to say for today. I'm still worried about what it will be like here without Katie but I feel a little less frantic about it today. Keep praying! I appreciate those of you who are taking the time to read this and think about me. It's nice.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates you are doing a great job!
    Vic

    ReplyDelete