In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Thursday, May 31, 2012


Amy arrived safely in Haiti and came to my house to stay for the night. The next day we headed off to La Gonave (where Extollo is building) and I had to say my final goodbyes to the kids. It was really emotional and I cried of course. I really fell in love with all those kids. I miss the craziness of that house!

I got sick the day before I left Sue's (of course). I was worried to get on a boat (to the island of La Gonave) with no bathroom!! But I did it and I made it without too much trouble. It took a few days of laying in bed but I got better.

Now I'm in Leogane which has been lovely. It's been good being with all these sweet kids that made me fall in love with Haiti in the first place. A lot of the older girls are gone which is kind of sad. But from what I know, they are all in safe places and are happy. That makes me happy too. But I sure do miss them! There's a lot of new little girls at the orphange too. Right now, there's some sort of flu going around and about 8 of the girls are throwing up and have fevers. Please be praying for them! Tchaly has had a pretty high fever for a few days which is worrysome because he's had fever related seizures in the past.

When Amy and I first arrived in Leogane I was telling Amy that I hoped that the living situation wasn't extremely comfortable. I wanted to have something to look forward to when I returned to the United States. A part of me wanted things to be really hard for me at the end of my stay here so I could be somewhat excited to go back home. So I guess God does listen because things did go kind of crazy! The container that Amy and I are staying in has been having all sorts of problems. It didn't have lights for a long time and there are no windows. The water wasn't working. Our generator ran out of gas and there was no gas to be found in all of Leogange for a few days. Anway, Amy says it's my fault for wishing it. Whoops!! I don't think God accepts takebacks.... ;)

Probably won't be able to update until I get home because of limited access to internet.

Orevwa!!

No comments:

Post a Comment