In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

La Gonave

Katie and I took a little vacation to La Gonave (the big island in the middle of Haiti) to visit the Extollo team for a few days. We were so excited to get to hang out with them! They are there building a new orphanage village for an already existing orphanage. (For more info on what they're doing on La Gonave, check out the Extollo website http://www.extollointernational.org/our-projects/la-gonave-island) Katie and I were even lucky enough to be there at the same time as the wonderful Sherman Balch! Katie and I spent a perfect amount of time at the beach relaxing and a perfect amount of time at the work site with Extollo. We had a nice boat ride over to the island and the second we stepped off the boat we got a moto (motorcycle) ride from their good Haitian friend Big Jean. Don't worry Mom, I made sure he went slow.

We had a lot  of cool opportunities and meet some really cool people on the island. The Extollo boys know a really neat lady who rents some property right on the ocean for a little school she runs. She let Katie and I hang out with her and use her snorkeling gear. It was the first time Katie snorkeled and it was amazing! We got to go both days we were there. I saw a sea snake and some jelly fish and lots of other great stuff.

We also spent some time at the work site. Katie and I got our hands dirty and helped out a little bit. We dug dirt and painted chalk boards and organized all the sheds and took pictures and... Yup, that's it... But my muscles are sore still from it so that counts for something, right? I talked Sherman into getting us girls some pink Extollo team shirts. Hopefully that can work out for reals. Amy, Katie and I would look good in pink shirts shoveling dirt!

It was a lovely little break and we had a lot of fun exploring a different part of Haiti. We both really love La Gonave now! Katie says it was a great way to end her stay here. I can't believe it but she left yesterday. I will really miss that girl! It will be weird to be without her after living with her for so long. The kids are really going to miss her too. We love you Katie!

In other news, Marvins left. The orphanage that Sue is connected with said they'd take him. I was a little worried about it but he seems to be doing so well. The kids all saw him at church on Sunday and informed me that he looks like he's happy and doing good. He was with friends and was well behaved during church. He hasn't bothered any of the girls there and they're able to keep a good watch on him. I know he will be well taken care of there and I'm glad to see that he's adjusting well. We miss him but we all want what's best for him and I think this is it.

The girls in Leogane are slowly leaving. There have been about 9 that have left so far. All of them claim to be staying with some sort of family member. I'm really worried still about where the rest of  them will go. Please pray for them. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment