In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

18 kids and counting

I'm back in Bon Repos. My trip to Leogane was WONDERFUL and relaxing. I missed the girls so much and it was good to see them for a long period of time. I wished I could have stayed longer. I did miss my boys back in Bon Reops though and when I saw them I cried. That was unexpected. It's hard to love kids in two different places! I wish I could be in Leogane and Bon Repos at the same time.

Today the number of children living in this house went from 18 to 19. We got another baby. He's one year old and beautiful. He is the baby of the woman who does laundry for Sue. I'm feeling really weighed down.  It's really hard to process how difficult life is for people here in Haiti. It's hard to see a woman who has a job (which pays more than average for Haiti) not be able to afford to feed her kid. She has another child who is in school and all her wages are going to keeping him in school. She has the option of giving one of her children up for adoption to give the other a good life. How does a mother make that decision? I can't imagine how hard that must be to make that choice. But how many people in Haiti don't have any choices but to let their kids starve? How many people in Haiti have five or six or ten kids to feed and clothe and send to school and can't afford it? If things are expensive for a mom with only 2 kids and a job, how hard must it be for families with no working parents? What do they do? What do I do about it? I'm feeling hopeless.

1 comment:

  1. Day by day you will have the strength and the widsom to know that you are making a difference. That a bucket might not fill all at once by drop by drop it can fill. And it will fill. God still does miracles today.

    ReplyDelete