In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Help

My visit to Leogane has been AWESOME. I love these girls a ton. Right now Amy and I are in Jacmel visiting friends. I'll write more about that later.


But for now...


My friend at the orphanage in Leogane, Yveline, has been attending nursing school for the past year. Last year we set it up that Extollo (https://www.extollointernational.org/) would pay for her education in exchange for her taking care of a baby named Charlie who wasn't getting enough care. There was a miscommunication in how much her school would cost and now Extollo is now unable to pay for the last two years of her education. Extollo is trying to raise money right now to build a trade school and have limited funds. But they're not giving up on Yveline and neither are we. Yveline was informed yesterday that there was no more money. We talked with her and she was devastated. One year of education isn't going to get her anywhere. My friend Amy and I have been thinking a lot about how hard it is for kids to age out of orphanages. Where are they supposed to go? How will they make money? Where will they live? There is no one to teach them what to do. Yveline worked hard to finish high school which only a very small percentage of Haitians do because the exams are really difficult. She's a hard worker and that's why we knew she would put a nursing education to use. This is her opportunity to make something of her life.



So what can you do to help??

We (and Extollo) still want to help Yveline and we hope you do too. If we can raise $1,000 it will allow her to go to school for another year. This is her only hope for continuing her education.

In the United States, education means a better job and more money. In Haiti, it means life.


If you're interested in donating you can go to the Extollo website (https://www.extollointernational.org/donate/donation-form), fill out the form and click on "general fund." You also need to email christie@extollointernational.org with your name, donation amount and a note that it's for Yveline.

-Becca

2 comments:

  1. Count me in for $100. I want her to feel encouraged and supported for her accomplishments so far. What a wonderful role model she must be the other girls there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yveline has been asked to not return to school until her tuition has been paid. But--I just stopped by Extollo and learned that $850 has been collected so far!! Together, can we come up with $150 so that Yveline can complete her second year of nursing school?

    ReplyDelete