In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Party

Sorry I haven't written in a long time, things have been a little crazy around here. One of the workers went on vacation to visit her sister in the U.S. Anther worker's uncle died so she's been gone for a while. And the laundry lady's brother died so she hasn't come for a few days and won't be back for a few more. That means there's only one worker here to help us cook, clean, watch the kids, and do laundry. Plus, all the kids are still on break from school so there's no relief. Yikes! But we've been hanging in there and no one has died yet. Although, one of the BIG three year olds STEPPED on Jackson today while he was sleeping on the floor... I almost had a heart attack. Jackson wasn't hurt in the mishap thank God.

Anyway, today was the Christmas party for the kids at the orphanage that Sue works with. We go to the church there every Sunday. The orphanage has about 30 kids. The party was for all the parents of the kids from that orphanage. The party was festive and had cute decorations. There were even Christmas lights which I was excited about.

All the kids did little performances including singing, dancing, skits, and reciting poems. Some of our kids got to sing song in front of everyone which was cute to watch. Jenifer, Claudeson, Michaelle and Samantha said poems too. Let me just tell you, THAT was the best part. I think that the poems from our kids were spontaneous. I say that because Michaelle (age 8) said a poem which made everyone laugh. Her poem was about a chicken who took a big sh*t on the floor and made a mess. Sue was not happy. However, the workers and I couldn't stop laughing.

The pastor wanted Sue and I to get up to say a little something to all the people. They love introducing white people during gatherings like church or parties.. I hate talking in front of people but I did it anyway. And I did it in Creole too! Woop.

We got home late from the party and all the kids just climbed right into bed. It was almost 2 hours past their bedtime! I should have climbed into bed but instead I wrote a blog.

The next big event I'm looking forward to is that AMY MIRAMONTES IS COMING TO HAITI!!! I'm beyond excited to see her. I'm planning on going to Leogane with her so I'll get to see her AND the girls. Yay!

That's all for now folks, hope you had a wonderful Christmas like me!

1 comment:

  1. i really am glad to read your updates,,,,just to let you kno,,,if you think no one reads them ,,,,we do :)...God bless you...keep it up
    Willie

    ReplyDelete