In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Living in Haiti with 18 children means…

Sometimes waking up every three hours to feed my infant twins
Killing spiders the size of my palm
Eating ants with every meal
Doing laundry by hand and missing the scent of tide
Falling asleep to the sound of singing and preaching at the church nearby
Waking up to the sound of dogs fighting over dirty diapers and garbage in the pile right outside my window
Sharing a bathroom with little boys (who pee on the seat regularly)
Showering in cold water
Learning Creole because I want to understand what my students are saying when they’re being sassy
Going to sleep at 8p.m. and waking up at 5a.m.
Getting weird ailments that 
Eating chicken bones
Being cold when it’s 70 degrees outside
Waking up to step in a puddle of pee from one of the many kids who pee the bed at night then cleaning them so they can go back to sleep in dry jammies
Being walked in on by a child while I’m showering 40% of the time
Finding pee in the bucket in my room that I use to give the babies a bath (a three year old ratted out her 2 year old friend as the culprit. Thanks for the tip Dianna!)
Sleeping in a twin bed with a three year old after I have taken her back to bed after the 3rd time
Fitting 24 people into a 8 passenger van
Learning to be less judgmental about a new culture
Playing every day and never running out of playmates (I often forget to play when I’m in the states)
Appreciating a cup of ice water like never before
Teaching and learning more in one day than I did in one week when I was home
Loving and being loved
Needing to rely on something bigger than myself to sort out many of the things I see here
Learning how unnecessary “stuff” is in life
Learning how to be appreciative of what I have and putting things into perspective
Being stressed and exhausted more then I have in my life but realizing that with God, all things are possible
And loving (almost!) every second of it!!


1 comment:

  1. Wow. These are enormous life lessons. I wonder how and when I'll learn some of them......

    ReplyDelete