In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Guess who got to go to Leogane yesterday? Yup, that's right, this girl did. My friend Frankie called and said that he had to run to the girls orphanage to pick up some tools. I took the opportunity for a free ride to go give the girls hugs and kisses and bring Katie to meet them. I miss them so much when I'm here and wish I had more chances to go see them. They're pretty special girls.

On the way to see the girls we drove past a big truck piled high with sugar cane. The guys who were sitting with the sugar cane were throwing pieces off every once in a while to the people walking by. They threw off a pile to a bunch of kids who swarmed it like a pinata had just broke. It warmed my hart. I wonder if I had a truck full of sugar cane to sell in the market if I would have given it out to people passing on the street..

In Bon Repos, two nights in a row, a mechanic down the street has been burning HUGE piles of tires. The first night it happened, we were worried a house was on fire because it was so big. Anyway, we woke up in the morning to a yard covered in soot from the tires. We're hoping it rains soon to wash it all away. Our floors are soooo dirty. All of our feet are covered in black soot all day long because we track it everywhere. When I give the boys a bath at night the water runs off brown. Yuck.

Also, the boys have been getting up into a crawling position. It won't be long before they're mobile. We'll be needing to put up some baby gates for sure!

That's all the updates for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment