In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It's been raining every night for the past 4 or 5 nights. The thunder keeps me awake! I believe that rainy season has arrived. It's nice because it cools things off at night. But all this rain is causing our roof to leak. Paulette and I went up on the roof yesterday to clear out the drains but the entire roof is one big puddle. The water has rotted the roof all the way to the inside and there are at least three big leaks in the house. Every morning we wake up to a new puddle on the floor from the water dripping from the ceiling. Our roof most likely won't hold up if there's an earthquake and it's made from heavy concrete. The good news is that Sue found out that she will be moving out of this house in the Summer. We're not sure of the date yet but we hope it's sooner rather than later. Pray that the construction for her new house will go fast so they can get out of this house!

Noah's skin is getting better. Slowly. We still haven't figured out what is causing it. I've started to eliminate things in his environment in case it's an allergic reaction. He's a lot better than he was at first but he still gets new spots every day. We have to wait for him to get better before we try and get him his vaccinations. So we really need him to get better!! Other than that, the boys are doing great. Jackson says "dada" now and he's getting up on all fours. They both respond to their names when I call them from across the room. I thought they didn't know who was who, but they do! It's so fun watching them grow and develop.

The other day, Katie and I went out to walk to get some things at the store. We happened to run into Frankie driving some of my friends who I knew were visiting Haiti. My friend Josh is living on the island La Gonave to do an internship with Extollo International. He had a construction team there for two weeks and I knew one of the men named Willie. I have been to Haiti with Willie once before. I was so excited to see both of them and have the chance to talk to them for a while. I didn't realize they were going to be in my neighborhood on that day so it was a nice surprise. They were at the end of their trip and staying in a hotel for their last night here so they could catch their plane the next morning. Katie and I decided to go with them for a little vacation! We were away from Sue's for less than 24 hours but it was a much needed break and felt like a longer time. The hotel we stayed at was in Carrfour. It was very nice and had a pool as well as a very nice restaurant with PIZZA. Amazing pizza. I swam in the pool even though its was getting late and was cold. I was shivering but it was so worth it.

I was rocking Peter to sleep tonight but there was mostly talking and little sleeping. That was OK with me. He always has a lot to say and I love that time with him because he's so sweet and mellow. Tonight I was telling him that I'll have to tell his new teachers to tell him to focus during school. I always tell my kids that and they get so mad that we had to figure out code words because they got sick of hearing me say "focus!!" so much. We started talking about his new teachers and he said "you aren't going to be here again? I'm getting a new teacher?" I said "yeah, after I leave in May you are going to get two new teachers. I'm going back to the U.S." He replied "but you said you want to stay in Haiti! You said you love Haiti." I almost cried thinking about how much I'm going to miss all these little kids. Oh Haiti, how will I ever keep myself away!!!

1 comment:

  1. Becca, I am so thankful that you told me about your blog. Being able to communicate with my kids has been such a blessing. Thank you for rocking Peter. My husband and I were in Haiti just 24 hours and we so taken back by the poverity. The work you are doing and have already done will have lasting effects because you have done it for Jesus. I thank you so much for making my kids' lives better and the lives of all those other little ones better. The time you have spent with them is just a little while compared to eternity, yet you have changed their lives for eternity. Amazing as to what God can do with a willing person and limited resources. You have made a place in our hearst forever.
    Susan DeHoff

    ReplyDelete