In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

These past few days have really made me not want to leave Haiti. These kids have been so sweet. Peter, oh Peter. He is a sweet kid but he's very emotional. When he's upset, he's UPSET. And man can he hold a grudge. Being his teacher, I sometimes need to make him do things that he doesn't want to do. So I often am the target for his anger. I've gotten used to him being upset with me for the majority of the day. However, for the past two days, he's been so good! He has rarely been angry. Two nights ago after everyone had gone to their beds, I asked him if he wanted me to rock him to sleep. I had asked him this question before and he always had said no. This time he said yes. I loved rocking him! Last night, he even ASKED me to rock him again and of course I said yes. School had been going a lot smoother and we've been having way more positive interactions. Hopefully we can keep it up!

Yesterday, it was Jennifer's turn to go on the weekly trip to the market with Fabula. She always gives the kids a few Haitian dollars to spend while they're there. When Jennifer got home, she pulled me aside to my room to give me a lollipop that she had bought with the money Fabula gave her. She used 1/3 of her precious money to get ME a gift! I was so touched because going to the market is such a treat for the kids because it happens so rarely. Thanks for making my day Jennifer!

Our new boy, Marvins, is doing good. He's a happy kid and pretty darn cute. He has been sleeping well and seems to be enjoying all the delicious food we eat. We sent him to school already and he has a good time. He has trouble pronouncing words which makes it hard for the other kids to understand him. It could be because his four front teeth have partially or completely rotted out. We've also discovered that he is a bit of a wild child. I don't think he's stopped moving since he got here. Even in his sleep he moves! We think that he probably has ADD. Last night Katie had to give him a coloring book because we could not get him to settle down enough to sit for more than 5 seconds. He finally calmed down and went to sleep two hours after the other kids. Tonight, we JUST got him into bed. He's not asleep quite yet but at least he's quiet. (Two hours after the other kids) He had Katie and I laughing so hard tonight. He literally was trying to bounce off the walls.. I told him to come to me and before I knew it he was up on a chair jumping into my arms. (just kidding about him being in his bed, he's running around the halls now...) Katie and I seriously are considering giving him some cough medicine. Is that ethical? Probably not huh? He is so sweet though and he loves giving huge hugs and kisses to Katie and I. It may take a while for the other kids to warm up to him but it's understandable. Marvins hasn't yet learned the rules of the house so it get's annoying for the other kids sometimes. The older kids are working hard at trying to kindly remind him when he does something wrong. We have to tell him things like "Marvins, we don't hit our friends.  In our house we are kind to each other. Marvins, we don't jump off the chairs like that in our house. Marvins, your feet belong on the floor, not the walls. Marvins, the balls belong outside and the books belong inside." He's only been here a few days so I'm sure with a little more time, he'll catch on. I really like that goofy little guy but man, are we in for it.

The boys got their first hair cut today. I really wanted to have them grow out their hair until they said their first word because that's how people do it in Haiti. But it was just so long that it was getting impossible to comb without them screaming their heads off. Sue said she was going to cut it after I left anyway so I just decided to do it on a whim today. Paulette did it for me but I took a few snips here and there just to say I did.

Noah's first hair cut!!!

 
Things in Haiti, politically speaking, are heating up. A while ago, the prime minister resigned. Without a Prime Minister, the government can not function. That is not good news for anyone, especially the families who are in the process of adopting. In addition, yesterday, thousands of Aristide supporters gathered in protest in Port Au Prince. This is also bad news. Aristide was president of Haiti but after being forced from office in 2004, he was exiled. He returned to Haiti in March of last year. During his presidency he supported Haiti's ruthless and violent gangs and those gangs supported him. Needless to say, he was not the best President Haiti has ever had. This is why it is bad news that his supporters are gathering for protests. It could mean that more protests are to come and more protests could mean violence. We found out today that Aristide probably has something to do with the resignation of the Prime Minister. Be praying for Haiti people because things may be getting crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment