In the Summer of 2010 I was one of many lucky people who had the opportunity to take a short trip to Haiti. I fell almost instantly in love and just can't keep myself away. I've spent about 11 months in Haiti since the first time I went two and a half years ago and my time there isn't over. I'm exploring my options on where to take my life from here but it WILL include Haiti in one form or another. This is where I record stories and thoughts about my experiences.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I took Noah to the dermatologist in PAP on Tuesday. I was very disappointed because she just told me pretty much the same thing as the other doctor. They say it's infected bug bites on his body and an allergic reaction on his face but I don't believe it. He's never had bug bites that look like this. I am going to keep using the prescription lotion and anti allergy medicine though. Today, he looks better than he did before so I'm praying that it's healing. On top of that, we've still been having kids with really high fevers. We can't figure out what that is either. They'll get really high fevers in the afternoon and then once their fever breaks, they're fine until the next afternoon or night. It's been about the same cycle for so many kids in the house. Today it was Marvins. His temp had to be 104. I stuck him in the bath because I didn't want to waste time taking his temperature. Sue commented that she thinks we haven't gone a day without at least one sick kid in the house for months. It's no fun! But I guess that's what we get for having 19 kids. I'm so thankful that I get to be here to rock a feverish kid or put lotion on cracked skin. It almost brings me to tears every time I'm holding a sick kid to think about all the kids in Haiti who don't have someone to love and care for them when they're not feeling well.

Yesterday, when everyone was in their beds, Peter called me over to give me a belated birthday card. I am happy to say that he had perfect handwriting and spelled everything correctly with no help! Yay for smart students!

Speaking of students, my kids just graduated to the second grade books. We're discovering that second grade is much harder than first! They finished their math books a few weeks before they got their second grade books and we've become rusty on the basics like addition and subtraction. Does anyone know about math wrap-ups? They're a tool to help kids learn to memorize their math facts. I used them in school when I was younger. Since buying them isn't really an option, I cheated and made some out of left over cardboard from the corn flakes boxes.  Oh, to be a teacher in Haiti.

I didn't mention before but the boys are 6 months old as of a few days ago. Where has time gone??? I gave them bananas for the first time today. They weren't stoked.

Other than that, nothing is new here!

Prayer requests:
-Marvins to settle down
-Noah's skin
-Haitian Government
- Generator/circuit breaker/battery problems to not happen again
-For me to have patience with the kids

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog Becca! It sounds like you have malaria in the house, which sucks but it's really easy to deal with. You can get chloroquine in pill form for your older kids or in liquid for your younger ones. Word of warning, med taste horrible and you need to have some food in your stomach.
    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking malaria also. Sounds very much like they need medicine or the cycle will continue. Keep holding and loving and soothing the hurting.

    ReplyDelete